Middle School Programs
Middle School Programs
Learn to Row
Our middle school program focuses on the essentials of rowing in the stable training barge and then both sculling (rowing with two oars each) and sweep rowing (rowing with one oar each). The athletes row in the training barge, coxed quads, eight-person boats, and they learn valuable skills such as teamwork, fitness conditioning, and safety on the water. The middle school program is coached by high-level coaches who make learning to row easy and fun. The middle school program is for athletes in 6th-8th grade. No experience is necessary.
MIDDLE SCHOOL LEVELS
The Middle School program is split into three different levels of Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced:
- Beginning Rowing – This is program is for those who are new to rowing. We teach basic technique, boat handling, and fitness in a fun and no pressure environment.
- Intermediate Rowing – This is a program for those who have mastered the Beginning Rowing class and are looking for a more challenging environment. We stress technical improvements and bring in harder workouts.
- Advanced Rowing – This program is a school year development program for grade 8. See more information below
Register for middle school programs on Active.com:
2018-2019 Beginning and Intermediate Rowing Schedule
Tidewater: Monday & Wednesday or Tuesday & Thursday 4:15pm to 6:15pm
- Session #1 (September 10th - October 11th)
- Session #2 (October 15th - November 15th)
- Session #3 (February 11th - March 14th)
- Session #4 (March 18th - April 18th)
Note: At this time we are not planning to hold any Middle School rowing at the San Pablo Reservoir facility, although this could change. Please check back in the spring! If you are coming from East of the Caldecott Tunnel, there are typically other families who are looking to carpool to Oakland.
End of Session Middle School Scrimmage
On the last Saturday of each session we will hold a scrimmage for middle school rowers. This scrimmage will be for fun and while it is not mandatory, it is highly encouraged. All scrimmages are held at the Tidewater Boathouse.
- Session #1 Scrimmage: October 13th, 11am - 1pm
- Session #2 Scrimmage: November 17th, 11am - 1pm
- Session #3 Scrimmage: March 16th, 11am - 1pm
- Session #4 Scrimmage: April 20th, 11am - 1pm
Advanced middle school team
The Advanced Middle School Team is a school year development program for grade 8 held at the Tidewater Boathouse. This program builds on our Intermediate Rowing sessions. Continued technical skills development and conditioning is stressed as athletes learn what it will be like to be part of the Oakland Strokes Competitive Rowing Team.
The athletes in the Advanced Middle School Team must have attend at least one regular Middle School camp and obtain their coach’s permission to enroll in the program. The program focuses on improved rowing technique and fitness, with the rowers being eligible to race in specific Middle School events during the year.
Fall Start Date: Monday, September 10th
Practice: 4:15pm-6:30pm, Monday-Thursday
Fall End Date: Thursday, December 20th
Spring Start Date: Mid-January
The Advanced Rowing program is invited to attend the end of session scrimmages noted above
Note: Most eligible 8th graders row on the Advanced Middle school Team. If you are an 8th grader with rowing experience and curious about rowing on the Novice team this fall, please email email@example.com. Any 8th grader wishing to enroll on the High School novice squad must have the approval of the Coaching staff.
Hannah Freeman, Middle School Coordinator