Come row for the Oakland Strokes this Summer!
We provide two types of Summer rowing camps. The Learn to Row camps are for Middle School rowers of all abilities and for High School athletes who have never rowed before. The Summer Racing Camps are for rowers with at least one year of High School rowing experience. If you have any questions about which camp to attend, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Our Summer Programs, including the Summer racing camp, are open to athletes outside the Oakland Strokes school year programs
Learn to Row Camps
$375 per each 1 week session
The Learn to Row Summer Camps are split into three different levels of Beginning, Intermediate, and Introduction to Competitive Rowing:
- Beginning Rowing – This is program is for those who are new to rowing. We teach basic technique, boat handling, and fitness in a fun and no pressure environment. No previous rowing experience necessary! Open to anyone entering 6th to 12th grades in the Fall of 2018.
- Intermediate Rowing – This is a program for those who have mastered the Beginning Rowing class and are looking for a more challenging environment. We stress technical improvements and bring in harder workouts. This camp is open to all athletes who have attended at least one session of summer camp or a school year middle school session and are entering 6th to 12th grades in the Fall of 2018.
- Introduction to Competitive Rowing – This camp builds on our Intermediate Rowing camps. Continued technical skills development and conditioning is stressed as athletes learn what it will be like to be part of the Oakland Strokes Competitive Rowing Team. This camp will have a conditioning component to it, with at least one hour per day will be focused on athletic conditioning. This camp is open to all athletes who have attended the Continuing Rowing camp, or the Oakland Strokes Advanced Middle School program (or equivalent) and are entering 8th to 12th grades in the Fall of 2018.
While our camps are designated by rowing ability, we know that an athlete entering their 6th grade year is very different than an athlete entering their senior year in High School. Therefore, each camp session is sorted by age ranges from 11 to 14 and 15 to 18. When registering for the camp, please choose the camp option that corresponds to your participant’s age.
The Oakland Strokes are offering a $100/week discount off of the Intermediate and Intro to Competitive Rowing camps for athletes who volunteer to attend the entire week of the Beginning Rowing camp to actively volunteer and participate. Volunteers must have either completed a year in the Advanced Middle School program, Novice program, or above. Please talk to your coach for information on how to sign up.
Note: Volunteers will be active from 8:30am to 1:30pm, please come prepared with food and water!
8:30 to 11:30am - Beginning Rowing
10:30am to 1:30pm - Intermediate & Intro to Competitive Rowing:
Dates and locations:
June 11 to 15 - San Pablo Reservoir, Orinda
June 18 to 22 - San Pablo Reservoir, Orinda
June 25 to 29 - San Pablo Reservoir, Orinda
July 9 to 13 – Tidewater Aquatic Center, Oakland
July 16 to 20 – Tidewater Aquatic Center, Oakland
July 23 to 27 – Tidewater Aquatic Center, Oakland
July 30 to Aug 3 – Tidewater Aquatic Center, Oakland
PLEASE NOTE: Summer programs will be located at two locations on two bodies of water, Orinda and Oakland. Look closely at the camp you are registering for and see our Facilities page for more information.
Men's & Women's Summer Racing Camp
The Oakland Strokes are pleased to announce our 2018 Men’s and Women’s Summer Rowing Camps for all experienced High School athletes, which will culminate in a trip to compete at the US Rowing Club Nationals July 11th - 15th. This camp will be a positive, learning experience that will jumpstart your rowing and give you the tools to continue improving at rowing in the year to come.
Head Women’s Coach:
Megan Dirkmaat McCourt, Head Coach, Girls Preparatory School, Chattanooga, TN. Megan is an Olympic Silver Medalist in the Women’s 8+ in the 2004 Athens Olympic and brings many years of coaching experience to Oakland, including the USRowing U17 Sculling Development Camp, Stanford University, and UC Berkeley. Megan has a Masters of Education – Intercollegiate Athletic Leadership from University of Washington and rowed for UC Berkeley in college.
Head Men’s Coach:
Joe Gartland, Princeton University Heavyweight Men’s Assistant Coach. Joe has many years of coaching experience, which include previous stints at Community Rowing Inc., Williams College, Buckingham, Browne & Nichols School, and Groton School. Joe rowed for Boston University Men’s Crew Team in college
Assistant Coaches to be announced soon.
The Varsity Summer Rowing Camps will be focused on athlete development, including improving technical proficiency, strength and conditioning, mental training, and race preparation. Athletes will row twice a day with a break in between to stretch, watch training videos, work one on one on rowing machines, and refuel.
In addition to our coaching staff, the camp will have guest lectures by current and former National Team members, nutritionists, and physical therapists. Our goal is to arm our athletes with the best information we can provide for them to improve their performance.
The camp will culminate in a trip to compete at the USRowing Club Nationals from July 11-15 in Camden New Jersey.
Daily Schedule: 8:00am to 3:30pm, Tidewater Aquatic Center, Oakland, CA
We offer two camp lengths. The main camp is from June 6 through July 7. For those competing at the US Rowing Youth Nationals, we offer a shorter camp from June 18 through July 7. Those campers continuing on to Club Nationals will train through the event, returning home on or around July 15.
Before March 11,2018
After March 11,2018
|June 6 - July 7||$1600||$1675|
|June 18 - July 7||$1100||$1150|
|Club Nationals Trip||TBD|
- This camp is open to any and all rowers with at least one year of High School rowing experience. Rowers from teams outside of the Oakland Strokes are encouraged to attend.
- We do not provide housing or transportation for out-of-town students.
- Students will bring their own lunches and snacks.
- Competing at Club Nationals, while strongly encouraged, is not mandatory. The cost of the trip will be billed separately from the camp.
- A racing unisuit will be included in the cost of the camp. Rowers should indicate their size during registration.